Friday, March 25, 2005

Journeying

I'm in the process of planning a big summer trip. It's work-related, but I'll know that I'll have a blast. I've received some money from my job to cover some of the travel, and I might get some more if I can convince my boss that it's "professional development" to go (I think she'll agree).

I'm interested in travel writing, and I've got some vague ideas that I'd like to write up my experiences on this trip (as well as a similar trip that I took last year). So I'm reading this article detailing exactly how and why most contemporary magazine/newspaper travel writing sucks. And I'm bookmarking World Hum's weblog and story archive, as well as Written Road and Vagablogging.

I'm a sucker for the Traveler's Tales Best Travel Writing series (2005 was just released), and the Best American series.

One thing that I've noted, though, is that very few gay men seem to write good contemporary travel articles or books.

There's Wonderlands: Good Gay Travel Writing, edited by Raphael Kadushin, and featuring mostly contemporary gay authors (e.g., Edmund White, Colm Tóibín, Wayne Koestenbaum). Here's the Lambda Lit review.

And there's Out Traveler magazine, which makes me want to slit my wrists, although I do enjoy editor Matthew Link's writing.

And that's about it, as far as I know. Am I missing anything obvious? Is there some reason why gay men aren't getting published in the contemporary travel writing circles?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not prose, but there's Jason Hall's very good True Travel Tales. He's gay, his stories are what other people have told him of their travels (so most stories aren't about gay people).

12:02 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

François, thanks for pointing these out. I was lucky enough to find the first three issues in a local non-comics bookstore. I think Hall is from San Francisco. I'll be reading these this weekend. Hall is also moderating the Queer Comics panel at the Alternative Press Expo next weekend, so maybe I'll get a chance to meet him.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home